Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Winding Up a Shamrock for St. Patrick's Day


Top of the Mornin' to ya! I finally finished my St. Paddy's Day yarn shamrock. I wanted to make something that looked a little homemade...a little bit rustic...but not messy or overly shabby. And here's what I came up with:



I started with four foam hearts, a couple of clearance-priced
skeins of green yarn (one "regular" and one "nubby" for texture). Then I just started winding...and winding... and winding the yarn around the hearts. It's a great project to work on while you're watching tv or waiting at dance lessons or in carpool line. Think of it an a bit of Zen....ahhhhhh.

Once I had wound the darker yarn around each heart, I used a
single strand of the nubby textured yarn as an accent.
But I needed a stem. I originally thought of taping a couple of paint stir stick together and wrapping them in yarn, but settled on a piece of
cardboard from a box in our recycling bin. That way I could control the shape a bit more. Again: winding, winding, winding.

I just used long straight pins to connect the finished hearts together, and then added the stem with two more. Ta da! Ready to hang. I paired it with this cute cloth banner from Hobby Lobby.

27 comments:

  1. that is the cutest shamrock i've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! That looks great but looks like a lot of work. Totally worth it though, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute!! I'm in St. Patrick's Day planning myself! Will be here before we know it!
    THanks for sharing the great craft idea!
    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great!!

    I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog - come and check it out!!
    http://madebystephie.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out really cute! Love this idea oh thee of much patience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great job! Thanks for sharing, this is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! We're following you from Friday Follow! Come visit us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there, following from Friday follow! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful blog! Stopped by from friday follow as well...def going to be tring out the shamrock craft because my daughter was born on st patricks day! check out my blog at www.elizabeth-ann-photography.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to make a shamrock--so cute! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower this Friday! Very cute shamrock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning. Visiting you from FF. What a cute craft idea. My Granddaughters would enjoy making this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning! Happy Friday Follow! I am your newest follower. Come visit me :) and have a great weekend! Shoot me an email if you'd like me to subscribe, twitter or facebook.

    Bridgette Groschen
    The Groschen Goblins
    http://www.groschengoblins.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Following from Friday Follow! Nice to meet you. Have a great weekend, and I hope you can come visit me soon.

    http://militaryspouserollercoasterride.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute shamrock and Happy Friday Follow. Hope you'll come check out my blog at http://www.erinamundsen.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm here from Friday Follow.. I'm your newest follower...

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute!! Visiting from Friday Follow...I'm your newest follower :) Love for you to come visit me!

    Have a great weekend!
    ~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

    ReplyDelete
  18. If that were any cuter, it'd be a sin! Seriously, that shamrock, um, well, ROCKS!
    Happy Friday Follow. I'm following you, now!
    Virginia
    http://ladyvdzine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello from a VERY LATE friday follower!

    Following you from...

    Http://bizzimommi.blogspot.com

    Hope you'll stop in!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely adorable. Found you via Friday Follow. Follow back at http://jotgiveaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there!

    I found you through "Friday Follow" and am now following your blog through Google Friend Connect. I look forward to reading more of your posts! Come on over and visit us when you have a free moment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea! Following you from Extreme Personal Measures Blog Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kathleen,
    AWESOMENESS! Very cool! Thanks for joining the party.
    Happy St. Patty's Day!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am your latest follower, I love your blog design, its so chic. I will start by digging into archives to read more of your posts.

    When you get a chance, please stop by my blog at www.safehomehappymom.com to follow me as well.

    ReplyDelete