Saturday, October 30, 2010

Send In the Elves!

Ta daaa! My first Christmas craft for 2010....at least it's a start.

 I admit it...even if there were three of me during the holidays, I still wouldn't get everything I plan done (although I would be willing to try!). I would probably just triple my expectations.

Now, attempting to curb my own "planning enthusiasm"is one thing, but it always seems that everyone surrounding us puts even more expectations in-the-works, doesn't it?

So this is going to be my "chill out" motto when people add to my to-do list this season: "I'll get my elves right on that!" It just makes me smile.


Supplies:
Small wood plaques (I found these at Wal-mart for just over $1)
Paint: undercoat (I used white), base (apple green), 
lettering/accent (red, of course!)
Sandpaper
brushes

First I sanded the surfaces and edges of the plaques. Because they're inexpensive (and ya get what ya pay for), there are  usually a few rough spots to smooth out. Then I applied two coats of white, letting the coats dry in between. This step isn't necessary if you're in a hurry, 
but it seems to make the top coat so much smoother 
and helps the final color to "pop".

A little red around the edges...
I used what I thought was slightly child-like writing, since it seems more in the spirit. I may try different styles in the next few days.

A few dots around the perimeter, red crystals at the bottom and two sides, and a polka dot bow hot-glued at the top.

It really doesn't get much simpler than this project, but I really like how it turned out. I'm keeping these in mind for teacher and hostess gifts this year.

Here are a few parties I'm "boogie-ing" to this week:


Photobucket

BWS tips buttonA Little Knick KnackSunday Strolling Blog Hop

19 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! I may have to adopt that as my saying too. I never get everything done that I plan to for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I wonder if my boss would let me put up this sign at work :)

    If you get a chance, I'd love for you to stop by and post this on my Not "Baaad" Sundays linky. There is a weekly contest for Best in Show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, and woohoo, time to start the Christmas crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Might need one for the office:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi there. your newest blog hop follower. happy SUNDAY. would *love* a follow back. you can find me at:

    http://aceandfriendsco.blogspot.com/

    stop on by for some FUN giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to find some of those elves, that I could have to "get right on that". Very cute crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sign, very cute! I definitely need one of these for my studio door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, i'm following you from the busy blogger hop! i would love if you would come visit my blog and follow back!

    best,
    april

    www.marineparents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! Since I missed crafting for Halloween, maybe i should start with Christmas now too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathleen...

    Ahhh...that's just too cute! "I'll get my elves right on that"! Hehe! So happy to have you for Sunday Favorites this week...thank you for sharing this sweet Christmas craft and tutorial with us!!!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. Visit my blog - I think you'll find a fun surprise today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's adorable! I have some of those little wood plaques I never used. Thanks for the idea!
    Here from Seasonal Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute! You did a great job and your tutorial was so helpful.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute and fun for the holidays!!

    Come and see my latest find! Would love your thoughts....

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a very cute sign for the holidays. I appreciate you sharing it in my party. I looked twice at your linky buttons and don't see mine. If you would please add it I would appreciate it muchly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need a sign like this. I say "I'll get right on that" all the time. My kiddos would think it was funny! Thanks for linking up to tickled pink!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable! Love it. Want one. Gotta make it.
    http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete