Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mmmmm....Banana Bread


Banana bread is a big favorite in our house. It’s one of the first things my 7-year-old learned to bake, and now she considers it her specialty!

So when I saw that the last few bananas on the counter this morning were reeeeeeaaaally ripe, I had no other choice but to mix up a loaf. (Insert smirk here.) What I did have a choice about was what new to add. Today the new item was chocolate chips. It’s something that K4 and I have talked about before, but have never actually gotten around to trying.

Although I know I’ll “get in trouble” for baking without her while she’s at school, I think that she’ll forgive me once she tastes it!

I'm sure everyone has the recipe for basic banana bread, but just in case you don't...I'll share mine.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2/3 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 or 4 medium size ripe bananas, mashed (a bit over a cup)

1/3 cup butter

2 tablespoon milk

2 eggs

1/2 cup chocolate chips

In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in the mashed bananas, butter and milk. Beat with an electric mixer on low until well-incorporated, then on high speed for 2 minutes.

Add eggs, remaining flour and chocolate chips.

Pour batter into into a buttered loaf pan, and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 55 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).

No comments:

Post a Comment